17 Aug 2014

The Great Escape

This past week I have been in the city on a training course. The venue was within Edinburgh Zoo and one wall of our classroom faced directly into the chimpanzee den, which provided some amusement, but I shan’t begin to tell you what they got up to in there! By day 4, after hours of Powerpoint, my brain had given up, my bum had gone numb and my classmates were starting to talk about football – so I planned my escape to an art gallery (or two). After getting up close to some Glasgow Boys I was brought back to life. I also went in search of some inspirational drawings which I found across several exhibitions – Titian, New Acquisitions and Ruskin. When looking for Ruskin I ended up at the wrong gallery on the wrong side of town, but I enjoyed Charles Jencks’s landforms whilst I waited for a taxi to take me to the right place! It was certainly worth the effort it took to get there - such beautiful ink drawings. I stayed and admired the exhibition until it closed. The long journey home felt like another great escape as I left the trains and the crowded streets for the final leg of my journey. Over the last 40 miles I saw just one other car, and waiting at home for me was one loved man and his dog.



Charles Jencks at the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art

No comments: