23 Mar 2014

Mucky Paws

I think I’ve been going ever so slightly mad of late on account of an absence of art in my routine. It’s been a bit of a slog since Christmas, house building, job interviews and an adolescent dog. This weekend I managed to start a portrait commission of a very photogenic German Shepherd called Kai. I’m working from a lovely professional photograph for the pose and using my own photos to get a more accurate coat colour. As I drew the outline of Kai I was reminded of my childhood when I had a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle of an equally handsome German Shepherd – it took ages to put together with at least 500 pieces which all looked the same! My father made a special board so that the unfinished jigsaw could be shoved under the sofa away from the dog and the kitchen table. My unfinished portrait of Kai is raised to the highest position on my easel – so provided Titus keeps four paws on the floor, it should be quite safe till I have time to do some more. The winner of my Christmas prize draw to win a pet portrait arrived this weekend to have her photo taken. Misty and her pal were not so good for the camera as Kai, being more interested in our fearless cat than posing for a portrait! It was cold and wild, so when the dogs got bored with cat, the wind flattened their ears - I may have one good photo out of 125! Tonight inside, the Simpson household is comparatively calm and cosy. Henry is surfing the net after a hard day building a house, Titus is asleep on the sofa after an enjoyable run on the beach and I am feeling a little more sane after getting dirty at my easel.

Kai's outline

Mucky paws

Early stages

Misty & her pal planning to eat cat!

2 comments:

PatsyColchester said...

Magic x

PaintingWrite said...

Kai is looking good so far -you must be delighted to get back into art, I've only been home a few days and I'm itching to get back to my drawing board! !